The above images were taken with my cell phone on a timer and are unedited. They in no way reflect my actual photography skills. Please notice how the face appears to change shape as the camera is further from it. The images were cropped to the same size to make for easy comparison.
I am constantly explaining to anyone who will listen… you do NOT look like your selfie! Check out your feed from any social media platform and examine all the selfies. Those pictures are taken close to the face and they are seriously distorted. The current trend is to get your eyes closest to the phone to make sure they look huge! You’ve seen this, right?
The problem comes when your nose is actually the closest thing to the camera. The closer your face is to the camera, the more distortion your image will have. Period. Whatever is closest will appear the largest. Your nose will ALWAYS look bigger than it is in a standard selfie. Always.
I read a fantastic article in Newsweek and it explained that more people are getting nose jobs because they don’t like the way they look in their selfies. What?!? Oh my gosh, y’all… we have GOT to educate ourselves! Your nose appears about 30% larger in a selfie. That’s a HUGE disparity between image and reality!
This excerpt really stood out to me… “In January, a survey by the American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery (AAFPRS) found that 55 percent of plastic surgeons said that their patients requested surgery to enhance their face to look better for selfies in 2017, while only 13 percent claimed to have executed a selfie-related surgery in 2016.”
So what’s going on? People are taking a standard selfie and the camera is about a foot from their face. There are simple solutions… my favorite is the selfie stick. It’s awesome, even if your running buddies tease you about it… then all admit they secretly love the effect. It gets the camera away from you. And what is optimal for an accurate image? About five feet away. The selfie stick can do this. But what if you don’t have a selfie stick? Put your camera on a timer, set it down, and step back. Or grab the nearest person and have him or her take the picture for you.
But let me tell you what you should NOT do… you should not look at an image taken from a foot away and think it’s an accurate depiction of your face. It is not.
I constantly consider what my clients say to me about the way they feel concerning their looks. It’s fascinating, but mostly it makes me sad… they don’t even realize that they have a distorted perception of themselves.
We see ourselves in only two dimensions… we look in the mirror and that is that. Or we take a selfie (see above). Neither showcases your best angles – only singular angles.
Want to know what your angles REALLY look like? Want to see the beauty that others see, but that you keep denying? You need someone ELSE to take the pictures. You need perspective.
You’ve booked the session and you’re in full planning mode! But… what should you wear?
This is one of the most common questions my clients have when they call and the answer is simple: Whatever you want. Seriously. It really IS that simple.
At a minimum, you will need to bring a sexy (and supportive!) black bra and a black thong (yes, even if you don’t regularly wear them). Everything else is icing on the cake.
Are you a fan of sexy bra and panty sets? Bring those! Do you have a collection of lingerie you’ve never actually seen yourself in? It’s time! Are you wanting to break out of your norm and shop? Buy what you FEEL sexy wearing. That’s really what it’s all about – the way you feel. THAT is what will convey in your images.
If you have things you want to conceal, find sexy sets that do that for you. Or bring along sexy fabrics and/or robes.
If you have things you want to flaunt, bring things that assist with showcasing your best assets.
You cannot fail at this – I’ve got you! I’ve done entire sessions with a single panty and bra set. Because when it’s all said and done, it’s all about the posing and the angles. Ladies, I WILL showcase your best angles. It’s that simple.
When you arrive for your appointment, we’ll go through everything you brought and put together three looks for you from what you’ve brought and from what I have available. We will work together to show you that you DO have that sexy chick inside you who CAN bring it when she wants to!
So, what should you wear for your boudoir session?
Whatever you want ;)
You’ve been considering a boudoir session, but there are so many things that make you nervous about it, right? Nervous isn’t such a bad thing… it usually holds hands with excitement!
Knowing more will help you get excited, instead of nervous. Here’s how to rock your session!
1. Trust your Photographer. We will take our time getting to know each other before we ever get near a camera. I need to know you and you need to trust me. This WILL happen. Once you realize it’s just us girls, having a fun day together, it’s easy to relax into it. I won’t ask you to do anything I can’t demonstrate to you, because some people take verbal direction easily, while others need visual instructions – I’m an excellent teacher! We’ve got this!
2. Relax. No, this won’t happen immediately, but when it does… magic happens. The minute you really start to own your session, YOU shine through and so does your sexy! I can pose you all day, but when you start moving your own body, it all comes together flawlessly. Don’t be shy about it – if it feels right, do it. Worst case, it doesn’t look like it feels and you never even have to see it. Culling images is part of what I do – you’ll only ever have to see the gorgeous ones! So if it bends, bend it. If it feels right to run your hand down your face and neck, please, carry on. I may guide you along the way, but if you can relax and truly OWN your session, you will blow your own mind – I promise.
3. GO SHOPPING! For many ladies, a boudoir session is a “once in a lifetime” adventure. Treat yourself. Get some lingerie that makes you feel sexy. It’ll also help you feel prepared for your session.
4. Talk to me. Have an idea? Share it. Want to try a certain pose? Tell me. Have questions? Ask. I am easy to talk to and I will help you see yourself in ways you never imagined. Trust the process. You will walk away feeling like a queen, but you MUST get comfortable talking to me. For those of you who are a little more on the shy side, come meet me in person! Give me a call and we’ll set it up.
5. Prepare. Get a good nights’ sleep. Have a decent breakfast. Wash and dry your hair the night before. Come in with a clean face. I’ve got the rest ;)
Ladies, if you have any questions, always feel free to call me. I’m accessible.
So, what’s stopping you?
What’s stopping you? 12 Reasons to Book a Boudoir Session
Do you love your body? Or do you look in the mirror and see only the flaws?
I’ve struggled my whole life with focusing on the beauty. Ironically, the older I get, the better I am at appreciating the beauty and disregarding the flaws. But that has taken years of conscious effort. My favorite thing about boudoir photography is showing women their beauty… showcasing the raw sexiness that is woman.
But there are PLENTY of reasons to book a boudoir session…